- 4 thin bacon rashers, halved widthways
- 85 gm butter, at room temperature
- 2 golden shallots, sliced
- 3 corn cobs, kernels removed (450gm kernels)
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 90 ml pouring cream
- 150 gm self-raising flour (1 cup)
- 300 ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 20 gm butter
- 1For creamed corn, heat butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add shallot and stir occasionally until tender (8-10 minutes). Add corn, stock and cream and stir occasionally until corn is very tender (10-15 minutes). Drain corn (reserve cooking liquid) and transfer to a food processor, pulse until coarsely chopped, then gradually add enough reserved cooking liquid, while pulsing, until mixture is smooth. Season to taste and set aside in a warm place.
- 2Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, add bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until golden (3-6 minutes). Keep warm.
- 3For buttermilk pancakes, combine flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl and set aside. Lightly whisk buttermilk and yolks in a jug to combine, add to flour mixture and whisk until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk eggwhites until soft peaks form, then fold into flour mixture. Heat half the oil and half the butter in a separate non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add four ¼-cups of batter and cook until bubbles appear (2-3 minutes), turn and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining oil, butter and batter. Top pancakes with creamed corn, bacon rashers and chives, drizzle with a little bacon fat from the pan and serve hot.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am