Grilled lettuce - a summer revelation.
- 2 T-bone steaks (about 450gm each), at room temperature
- For drizzling: olive oil
- 2 baby cos lettuce hearts, halved
- 150 gm frozen peas
- 150 gm sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 cup (loosely packed) mint
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 90 ml buttermilk
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Sherry vinegar
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1Heat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high heat. Drizzle steak with oil and season to taste. Grill, turning once, until cooked to your liking (6-8 minutes for medium-rare). Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- 2Drizzle cut sides of lettuce hearts with a little oil and grill until lightly charred (1-2 minutes), then transfer to a bowl. Blanch peas until bright green (1-2 minutes), drain and refresh, drain well and add to lettuce with mint.
- 3For buttermilk dressing, shake ingredients in a jar to combine amd season to taste.
- 4To serve, drizzle buttermilk dressing over lettuce mixture to taste and toss lightly to combine. Serve with steaks, with extra buttermilk dressing alongside.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm