- 20 gm butter
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 2 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced, fronds reserved to serve
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly shaved
- 2 tsp thyme
- 350 gm dried tagliatelle
- 1 smoked rainbow trout (about 250gm), skin and bones discarded
- 1Heat butter and oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add shallot, fennel, garlic and thyme and stir occasionally until caramelised (15-20 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (5-7 minutes). Drain, reserving a little pasta water, and add to fennel mixture along with lemon juice and enough pasta water to form a light sauce. Season to taste and serve topped with flaked trout, a dollop of crème fraîche, a good grinding of black pepper, parmesan and fennel fronds.