There are hundreds of variations of this super-easy and popular home-style dish. Add whatever ingredients you have to hand, but the key is to keep it simple.
- 4 eggs
- ½ tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Pinch of sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) vegetable oil
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced, some reserved to serve
- 1 large tomato, cut into thin wedges
- Thinly sliced long red chilli, to serve
- Oyster sauce or tomato sauce, to serve
- 1Whisk eggs, Shaoxing, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar in a bowl with chopsticks or a fork until well combined.
- 2Heat a well-seasoned wok or non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add vegetable oil. Add spring onion and stir until soft but not coloured (30 seconds to 1 minute), then add tomato and stir until softened (1-2 minutes). Add egg mixture, increase heat to high, and cook until edges begin to set but centre is still wobbly (1-2 minutes). Fold one side over to the centre, then the other, overlapping to form an open-ended envelope. Turn out, scatter with chilli and reserved spring onion and serve with oyster or tomato sauce.