- 2 375gm butter puff pastry sheets (see note)
- 300 gm ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind and juice only
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- ½ small garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 thin slices round pancetta
- 1 tsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 250 gm small tomatoes, such as cherry or yellow grape, halved
- To serve: small basil leaves
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Cut four 12cm-diameter rounds from pastry and place on a baking paper-lined oven tray. Score inside edges to form a 1cm border, prick within border with a fork and set aside in refrigerator.
- 2Combine ricotta, egg, lemon rind, thyme and garlic in a bowl, season to taste and mix until smooth. Divide mixture among pastry bases, spreading evenly within border. Scatter over onion, drizzle with a little oil and bake until puffed and golden (15-20 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, place pancetta on a baking paper-lined oven tray and bake until just crisp (2-3 minutes), coarsely chop and set aside.
- 4Combine lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl, season to taste and mix to combine. Add tomatoes, toss to coat, spoon into tartlets and serve immediately scattered with basil leaves and pancetta.
comes in pre-rolled 375gm sheets. If unavailable, substitute with another good-quality butter puff pastry.