- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 chicken breasts, skin and wings on
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, coarsely chopped
- 10 gm ginger, grated (2cm piece)
- 4 gm fresh turmeric (1cm piece)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 tsp fish sauce, or to taste
- To serve: steamed white rice and sambal asli (optional; see note)
Sweet and sour vegetables
- 150 ml aged rice wine vinegar
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 150 gm bean sprouts, trimmed
- 5 baby corn, coarsely chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways, seeds removed, coarsely diced
- ½ cup coarsely chopped coriander, plus extra to serve
- 2 small red chillies, thinly sliced
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add chicken skin-side down in batches and cook, turning once, until golden (2-4 minutes each side). Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. Add onion to pan and stir occasionally until tender (3-4 minutes).
- 2Pound lemongrass in a mortar and pestle until finely crushed. Add ginger, turmeric and garlic, pound to a coarse paste, add to pan and stir-fry until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Add chicken, coconut milk and fish sauce, cover with a lid, reduce heat to medium and simmer, turning chicken occasionally, until cooked through (15-16 minutes). Keep warm.
- 3For sweet and sour vegetables, combine vinegar, sugar and 100ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat and stir until sugar dissolves (1-2 minutes). Set aside over ice to cool slightly. Place remaining ingredients in a bowl, pour vinegar mixture over and set aside.
- 4Remove chicken from sauce, thickly slice, return to sauce, and serve with rice, sweet and sour vegetables, extra coriander, and sambal asli to the side.
Note Sambal asli is an Indonesian chilli sauce; it's available from Asian grocers.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm