For maximum flavour cook the chicken on the barbecue - coal or wood will give the best result.
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 cm piece turmeric, finely chopped, or 1 tsp dried ground turmeric
- 2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 lemongrass stalk (white part only), finely chopped
- 1 cup (loosely packed) coriander, coarsely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1½ tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or palm sugar
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 6 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on (about 180gm each)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Lime wedges, to serve
Cucumber and herb salad
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 5 gm ginger, finely chopped (1cm piece)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways, seeds removed, thickly sliced
- 1 golden shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (loosely packed) mint
- ½ cup (loosely packed) coriander
- 1Process garlic, turmeric, peppercorns and lemongrass in a food processor with ½ tsp sea salt flakes to a coarse paste. Add coriander, fish sauce, sugar and oyster sauce, and process to combine. Place in a bowl with chicken thighs and turn to coat well.
- 2Heat a barbecue or char-grill pan to medium-high heat. Drizzle chicken with oil and grill until browned and cooked through (8-10 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, for cucumber and herb salad, combine lime juice, ginger, garlic, sugar and olive oil in a bowl and season to taste. Add cucumber, shallot and chilli, and toss to combine. Just before serving, add herbs, toss to combine and serve with chicken.