- 10 (20gm) dried shiitake mushrooms
- 12 gm (2 packets) dashi powder (see note)
- 920 gm fresh udon noodles
- 100 ml light soy sauce, or to taste
- 1½ tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil, or to taste
- 300 gm silken tofu, cut into 2cm cubes
- To serve: thinly sliced spring onion and daikon
- To season: shichimi togarashi (see note)
- 1Bring shiitake, dashi powder and 1.2 litres cold water to the boil in a saucepan over high heat. Remove from heat and stand for shiitake to rehydrate (5 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, blanch noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water until just softened (1-2 minutes), drain and transfer to warm bowls.
- 3Return stock to high heat and bring to the simmer, add soy sauce, ginger and sesame oil to taste, then ladle over noodles. Top with tofu, spring onion and daikon, season to taste with shichimi togarashi and serve.
Note Dashi powder and shichimi togarashi, a Japanese spice blend, are both available from Japanese and Asian grocers.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am