- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 50 gm fine dried breadcrumbs (½ cup)
- 4 150gm veal escalopes
- 120 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50 gm salted capers, rinsed and drained well (¼ cup)
- 12 sage leaves
- 3 lemons, peeled, pith removed and thickly sliced
- 1Put seasoned flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Dust each piece of veal in flour, dip in egg, shaking off excess, then coat in breadcrumbs, shaking off excess, and place on a baking paper-lined tray.
- 2Heat 20gm butter and olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When butter starts to foam, add veal and cook until golden and cooked through (about 2 minutes each side). Drain on absorbent paper and keep warm. Wipe out frying pan with absorbent paper. Melt remaining butter and when it starts to foam, add capers and sage and cook until crisp (about 2 minutes), add lemon slices, cook to warm through (about another minute), remove from heat. Serve veal schnitzel with lemon, caper and sage sauce, green beans and mashed potato.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am