- 75 gm (½ cup) plain flour
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 6 soft white bread slices, processed to fine breadcrumbs
- 8 veal leg schnitzels (700gm)
- 120 ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 200 gm butter
- ¼ cup salted capers, rinsed
- 2 tbsp rosemary
- 2 tbsp oregano
- To serve: steamed or boiled baby potatoes or baby beans, and lemon wedges
- 1Preheat oven to 120C. Place flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in separate bowls and season the breadcrumbs well. Dip schnitzels into flour, shaking off excess, then dip into eggwash, then breadcrumbs, patting them gently onto the veal.
- 2Heat 2 tbsp oil and 20gm butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook schnitzels in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and just cooked through (4-6 minutes). Wipe pan clean and add more oil and butter after each batch. Transfer cooked schnitzels to an oven tray lined with paper towels and keep warm in oven.
- 3Wipe pan clean, add remaining butter and cook until foamy and nut-brown (2-4 minutes), then add capers and herbs and swirl pan (1 minute) until capers are just crisp.
- 4Serve schnitzels hot with burnt butter sauce spooned over, and with lemon wedges and vegetables to the side.