- 2 litres (8 cups) veal or beef stock (see note)
- 20 gm (4cm) piece of ginger, sliced
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 4 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 280 gm dried medium rice stick noodles
- 1 tbsp fish sauce, plus extra to taste
- 400 gm piece of sirloin, thinly sliced across the grain
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup each (loosely packed) Vietnamese mint leaves, mint leaves, coriander leaves and beansprouts, to serve
- To serve: sliced red chillies and lime wedges
- 1Bring stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Add ginger slices, star anise, cinnamon and cardamom and simmer over medium heat until infused (4-5 minutes). Keep hot.
- 2Meanwhile, place rice stick noodles in a heatproof bowl. Cover completely with boiling water and stand until noodles are soft (3-5 minutes), then drain.
- 3Divide noodles and sirloin among bowls, pour over hot stock and serve immediately with remaining ingredients to taste.
A good-quality veal or beef stock, available from select delicatessens and butchers, is essential for this recipe.