- 125 ml (½ cup) fish sauce
- 135 gm (½ cup) crushed light palm sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, pounded to a paste in a mortar and pestle
- 2 small red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 400 ml sunflower oil
- To serve: thinly sliced spring onion, bean sprouts, Vietnamese mint, lime cheeks, cucumber slices and steamed rice (optional)
- 1Combine fish sauce, palm sugar, garlic, chilli and soy sauce in a large bowl. Add chicken wings and toss to coat.
- 2Heat oil in a wok to 170C or until shimmering, drain wings (reserve marinade) and pat dry with absorbent paper. Shallow-fry wings in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (10 minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit). Drain on absorbent paper and transfer to a large bowl.
- 3Simmer marinade in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until a light caramel colour (5 minutes). Pour onto wings and toss to combine. Serve with spring onion, bean sprouts, Vietnamese mint, lime cheeks, cucumber and steamed rice.