The simple treatment of fruit for dessert is an Italian signature. Enhancements range from fruit tossed with citrus juice, to being doused with wine or - common in the region of Emilia-Romagna - dressed with a splash of balsamic vinegar, to the liqueur-flavoured syrup here.
- 20 gm unsalted butter
- 500 gm strawberries, hulled and halved if large
- 50 gm brown sugar (¼ cup, firmly packed)
- 60 ml black sambuca
- 250 gm mascarpone
- 1½ tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 1Melt butter in a large frying pan, add strawberries, sprinkle with brown sugar and drizzle sambuca over. Cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until strawberries are soft. Divide strawberries and cooking liquid among four heatproof glasses or bowls.
- 2Place mascarpone and icing sugar in
a small bowl and stir until well combined. Serve warm strawberries with mascarpone passed separately.