- 3 green onions, trimmed, white ends thinly sliced and green tops coarsely chopped
- 2 light soy sauce
- 25 gm piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 4 corn-fed chicken breast fillets (200gm each)
- 1 Chinese cabbage (wombok), thinly sliced (about 400gm)
- 1 cup coriander leaves (loosely packed)
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds, plus extra for serving
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1Combine green onion tops, soy sauce, ginger, star anise, cinnamon and 1½ litres of water in a large saucepan, bring to the boil over medium heat, add chicken, return to the boil, reduce heat to low and cook very gently for 10 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through and remove from heat.
- 2Meanwhile, for dressing, combine ingredients and 1 tsp sea salt in a small bowl.
- 3In a separate bowl, combine cabbage, coriander, thinly sliced green onion and sesame seeds, add dressing and toss to combine.
- 4Remove chicken from poaching liquid (see note), slice and serve with salad to the side and scatter with extra sesame seeds.
Note Poaching liquid may be frozen and re-used over and over, as long as it is brought to a rolling boil each time.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am