This dish is all about the freshest tuna you can find. Serve the rice hot or cooled to room temperature.
- 320 gm sushi rice
- 200 ml dashi stock (see note) or light fish stock
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1½ tbsp mirin
- 450 gm sashimi-grade yellowfin tuna, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1Rinse rice under cold running water until water runs clear (4-5 minutes), drain well, then combine in a large saucepan with dashi, soy sauce, mirin and 200ml water, mixing to combine. Bring to the boil over high heat, reduce heat to very low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, remove lid, cover with a tea towel, replace lid, stand for 5 minutes then divide among serving bowls.
- 2Divide diced tuna and avocado over rice, scatter with spring onion and serve with pickled ginger, extra soy sauce, and shredded nori and togarashi if you like.
You can use instant dashi for this recipe. Follow packet instructions.
This recipe is from the January 2010 issue of
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am