- 1 chicken (about 1.4 kg), butterflied
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp za’atar, plus extra to serve
- 200 gm small green lentils
- ½ small Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Place chicken on a baking tray lined with baking paper and pierce legs in several places. Combine oil, rind, garlic and za’atar in a bowl, pour onto chicken and rub all over (reserve remaining mixture), season to taste and roast until golden-brown and cooked through (15-20 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, cook lentils in a saucepan of unsalted boiling water until just tender, adding onion in the last minute (15-20 minutes). Drain, add lemon juice and remaining oil mixture and season to taste. When the chicken is cooked, pour off the pan juices and add to lentils along with parsley, toss to combine and serve with chicken, lemon wedges and extra za’atar.