- ½ cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh birdseye chilli, finely chopped
- 400 gm clams (vongole), soaked and drained
- 1.2 kg black mussels, scrubbed and bearded
- 4 egg tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 squid hoods, scored and thickly sliced (500gm)
- 3 blue swimmer crabs, cleaned and halved (325gm each)
- 450 gm scampi, heads removed, cleaned and halved lengthways
- 3 cups fish stock
- 110 gm fregola (see note), roasted at 180C for 6 minutes (½ cup)
- 600 gm snapper fillets, skinned, pin-boned and cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/4 cup loosely-packed basil leaves
- 1Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan or casserole, add garlic and chilli and cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- 2Add clams, mussels, tomatoes and half the parsley and bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over high heat for 3 minutes or until clams and mussels open, then transfer to a large bowl, cover and keep warm. Add squid to pan and cook for 1 minute or until opaque, and transfer to bowl with clams and mussels. Add crabs and scampi to pan and cook for 3 minutes or until shells change in colour.
- 3Add stock and fregola to pan, bring to a simmer, then cook, covered, over low heat for 6 minutes or until fregola is just tender. Add snapper and cook for 2-3 minutes or until just tender. Return other seafood to pan, add basil and remaining parsley and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes or until heated through.
- 4Divide soup among bowls, drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.