- 80 gm pearl barley
- 30 gm dried wakame (see note)
- 1 telegraph cucumber, half-peeled and thinly sliced on a mandolin
- Handful of mizuna leaves (see note), to serve
- 100 ml light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame oil (see note) or sesame oil
- 3 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1Cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (35-40 minutes). Drain well, cool on a tray, then transfer to a large bowl.
- 2Meanwhile, pour boiling water over wakame in a bowl and stand until softened (4-5 minutes). Drain, squeeze out excess water and cool.
- 3Toss cucumber with 1⁄2 tsp salt in a bowl. Stand to draw out liquid (8-10 minutes), then drain and squeeze out excess liquid. Add to barley along with wakame and refrigerate to chill (30-40 minutes).
- 4For dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl and season to taste. Add to salad along with mizuna, toss to combine and serve.
Wakame is available from Asian grocers and select health-food shops. Mizuna is available from select greengrocers; substitute another soft, frilled salad leaf. Roasted sesame oil is available from select Asian grocers.
Drink Suggestion: Sparkling mineral water, slice of lemon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen