Roasted beetroot keep well – consider making a double batch to use in salads during the week.
- 650 gm beetroot (about 3), peeled and halved
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 130 gm pearl barley
- Thick natural yoghurt, to taste
- 1 baby target beetroot (see note), peeled and thinly sliced raw on a mandolin
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- Coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Toss halved beetroot in 1 tbsp oil in a roasting pan, season to taste and add 60ml water. Cover tightly with foil and roast until tender (45-55 minutes). Cool, then toss with half the vinegar and 1½ tbsp oil.
- 2Cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (20-25 minutes). Drain, then cool. Spread yoghurt on a platter to taste, top with barley, roasted and raw beetroot, onion, hazelnuts and remaining vinegar and oil, season to taste and serve.
Baby target, or pink beetroot, is available from select greengrocers (you may need to order ahead).