A layer of coconut ganache over this fudgy slab keeps it rich and creamy, but dairy-free, while raw cacoa and dates steer it firmly away from corner-store chocolate bar territory.
- 650 gm pitted fresh dates, coarsely chopped
- 110 gm raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 250 gm coconut oil, softened
- 45 gm desiccated coconut
- Toasted coconut flakes, to serve
Bittersweet coconut ganache
- 200 gm dark chocolate (85%-90% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 1½ tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1Line a 22cm square cake tin with baking paper, allowing paper to overhang edges. Process ingredients in a food processor until smooth, press firmly into base of tin and refrigerate until semi-firm and chilled (1-2 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, for ganache, place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring coconut cream and syrup to the boil in a saucepan, then pour cream over chocolate and stir until melted. Pour ganache over date mixture, spread evenly with a spatula, then chill until firm (1 hour).
- 3Lift slab from tin, scatter with coconut flakes and a little sea salt and cut into 12 squares. Slab will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for a week.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am