- 200 gm rice vermicelli
- ¼ Chinese cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 telegraph cucumber
- 2 red shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion, cut into julienne
- 45 gm (⅓ cup) roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups herbs, such as vietnamese mint, coriander, shiso and mint (loosely packed)
- Bean sprouts and lime cheeks, to serve
- 60 ml (¼ cupe) fish sauce
- 60 ml lime juice (from about 1½ limes)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 birdseye chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp rice malt syrup, or to taste (optional)
- 1Soak vermicelli in boiling water until tender (3-5 minutes), then drain, refresh under cold running water, and drain well. Snip with scissors into 10cm-15cm lengths and transfer to serving bowls.
- 2For dressing, whisk fish sauce, lime juice, garlic and chilli in a bowl and season to taste with sugar.
- 3Top noodles with cabbage, cucumber, shallots, spring onion, peanuts, herbs and bean sprouts, drizzle with dressing and serve with lime cheeks.