Beetroot tops often fall by the wayside, but they have so much flavour that it's a shame to waste them. They're brilliant stir-fried or braised, so don't leave them behind.
- 20 gm finely grated fresh coconut or dried shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 bunch beetroot leaves with stalks, stalks coarsely chopped
- Fish sauce (optional), to taste
- Steamed rice (optional) and lime wedges (optional), to serve
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 20 gm ginger (about 4cm), coarsely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, coarsely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1Dry-roast coconut in a wok over high heat, stirring until golden (2-4 minutes). Remove from wok.
- 2For spice paste, dry-roast spices until fragrant (15-20 seconds), then coarsely crush with a mortar and pestle. Add remaining ingredients and pound to a coarse paste.
- 3Heat coconut oil in a wok over high heat, add spice paste and stir-fry until fragrant and roasted (1 minute). Add beetroot stalks and stir-fry until starting to soften (3-4 minutes), then add leaves and stir-fry until wilted (1-2 minutes). Season with salt or fish sauce, top with a little coconut and serve with rice, lime to squeeze over and remaining coconut.