This salad, filled with the classic flavours of the Caribbean, is gorgeous with ham but you could also serve it with barbecued prawns and calamari. You will need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 250 gm black beans, soaked overnight in cold water (1¼ cups)
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 2 limes, juice only
- 3 corn cobs, husks and silk removed
- 3 blood oranges, peeled and cut widthways into ½cm slices (see note)
- 200 gm bitter baby salad leaves, such as chicory or rocket
- 1Drain beans, place in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil over medium-high heat, then simmer over low-medium heat for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- 2Combine oil and lime juice in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Season to taste.
- 3Heat a grill pan over medium heat and grill corn, turning occasionally, for 12-15 minutes or until beginning to blacken, then remove and slice kernels off the cobs, combine with beans and season to taste. Pour ¾ of lime dressing over the beans and corn and combine well.
- 4Transfer bean mixture to a serving bowl, then arrange blood orange slices and leaves on top and drizzle with remaining dressing. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Black beans are available from
, or substitute canned black beans and omit step 1 of recipe. Substitute blood oranges with oranges if unavailable.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Hotel AwardsAustralia's Hotel of the Year for 2018 is revealedYesterday 10:00pm