You will need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 500 gm skinless blue-eye trevalla fillets, cut into 2.5cm-thick slices
- 1½ lemons, juice only
- 125 ml extra-virgin olive oil (½ cup)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup basil leaves, coarsely chopped (firmly packed)
- ½ cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped (firmly packed)
- ½ onion, coarsely chopped
- To serve: crusty bread
- 500 gm skinless snapper fillets, cut into 2.5cm-thick slices
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 1 orange, juice only
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- ½ cup black olives, such as picholine or Kalamata
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1Place trevalla in a non-reactive bowl, add lemon juice, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Add oil and cayenne pepper, mix, then refrigerate for 15 minutes. Add basil, mint and onion and mix. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2For snapper salad, place snapper in a non-reactive bowl, add juice, cover and refrigerate for at least 40 minutes or until snapper turns from opaque to white. Add remaining ingredients and season to taste with sea salt and ground black pepper. To serve, season crudo to taste and serve with snapper salad and bread.
Note Crudo is often made using bacalao (salt cod) which is soaked, then shredded and combined with other ingredients. We've substituted bacalao with blue-eye trevalla.
Drink Suggestion: Dry Italian white such as fiano or greco. Drink suggestion by Max Allen