- 225 gm (1½ cups) plain flour
- 2 tsp Dutch-process cocoa powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 60 ml (¼ cup) vin santo or Marsala
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6-8 cannelloni pasta tubes, for wrapping
- 1 eggwhite, beaten
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- For dusting: pure icing sugar
- 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar
- 1 kg ricotta, sieved
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) vin santo or Marsala
- 40 gm (¼ cup) icing sugar
- 50 gm glacé orange, finely chopped
- 35 gm (¼ cup) slivered almonds, roasted
- 1Sift flour, cocoa and cinnamon into a bowl, add caster sugar and combined butter, vin santo and egg, stirring until dough starts to come together, then turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and elastic (5-10 minutes). Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2Cut pastry into four pieces. Working with one piece at a time (keep remaining refrigerated), lightly flour dough, then using a pasta machine with rollers at widest setting, feed dough through rollers reducing settings one notch at a time until dough is 2mm thick. Cut into 9cm squares, place on a lightly floured tray and cover with a tea towel. Working with one square at a time, wrap pastry around cannelloni tubes, so opposite corners overlap, and brush with eggwhite to seal (do not put eggwhite on the tube). Heat oil in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan to 180C. Deep-fry tubes in batches until crisp and golden (2-3 minutes), drain on absorbent paper, cool slightly, then slide cannoli shells off tubes. Cannoli shells will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- 3For filling, process ricotta, liqueur and icing sugar using a food processor until smooth, stir through remaining ingredients. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm star nozzle and pipe into cooled cannoli, dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am