This Tunisian dish makes a perfect brunch with some crusty bread and salad.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised in skin and peeled
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 kg assorted green, red and yellow capsicum, seeded and cut into thick strips
- 650 gm tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan or similar earthenware dish.
Add garlic and fry until it starts to brown, then add onions and soften for 5-7 minutes. Add capsicum and cook for 8-10 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer, partially covered with a lid, for 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture has softened. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- 2Make 4 depressions in the mixture and add eggs into each depression. Cover and cook over low heat, basting with juices, until the eggs have just set. Serve with crusty bread.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am