This Tunisian dish makes a perfect brunch with some crusty bread and salad.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised in skin and peeled
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 kg assorted green, red and yellow capsicum, seeded and cut into thick strips
- 650 gm tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan or similar earthenware dish.
Add garlic and fry until it starts to brown, then add onions and soften for 5-7 minutes. Add capsicum and cook for 8-10 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer, partially covered with a lid, for 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture has softened. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- 2Make 4 depressions in the mixture and add eggs into each depression. Cover and cook over low heat, basting with juices, until the eggs have just set. Serve with crusty bread.