There are countless versions of satay around South-East Asia. For a modern twist, use beef or pork and wrap with butter lettuce leaves. You’ll need to start this recipe a day ahead, and soak wooden skewers in cold water for 20-30 minutes before using to prevent burning.
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- 1 red birdseye chilli, seeds removed finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tbsp palm sugar, pounded to a fine paste using a mortar and pestle
- 2 tsp thinly sliced lemongrass
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 250 gm skinless chicken breast, sliced lengthways into 5mm-thick strips
- 200 gm long-grain rice
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 130 gm roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped, then pounded to a coarse paste using a mortar and pestle
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 4 red birdseye chillies, finely chopped, then pounded to a coarse paste in a mortar with a pestle
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, shredded
- ½ lime, juice only
- 4 carrots, cut into julienne
- ½ cup mint leaves, thinly sliced (firmly packed)
- 2 long red chillies, seeds removed and cut into julienne
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- ½ lime, juice only
- 1For pressed rice, rinse rice in a sieve under cold running water until water runs clear. Place in a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low, simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender, then drain. Spoon rice into an 8 cup-capacity (28cm diameter) oval baking tray, smooth surface, cover with plastic wrap, place a smaller tray on top, weight down with food cans and chill overnight to firm. Remove from refrigerator just before serving, cut into wedges and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 2For peanut sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add peanuts, garlic, shallot and chilli and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add remaining ingredients, ¾ cup of cold water, season to taste with sea salt, stir, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, adding more water if necessary to thin to a sauce consistency. Transfer to a blender and process for a few minutes or to a thick paste consistency. Transfer to a bowl.
- 3Combine garlic, shallot, chilli, ginger, palm sugar, lemongrass and oil in a large bowl and mix well. Add chicken, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Thread chicken onto 12 wooden skewers, reserving marinade, and set aside.
- 4For carrot salad, combine carrot, mint and chilli in a bowl. Drizzle with oil and lime juice, season to taste and toss to combine. Set aside.
- 5Preheat a barbecue to medium heat. Cook skewers, basting occasionally with marinade, for 2-3 minutes each side or until brown and just cooked through. Serve with pressed rice, sauce, salad and prawn crackers.
Drink Suggestion: Aromatic viognier. Drink suggestion by Andy Harris