Clams and artichokes
- 4 globe artichokes (about 1kg)
- 1½ lemons, halved
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 125 ml dry white wine (½ cup)
- 1 kg clams (vongole), soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 625 ml extra-virgin olive oil (2½ cups)
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 1For alioli, using a pestle pound garlic and sea salt to a fine paste in a mortar, transfer mixture to a food processor and add egg yolks, then with motor running, slowly add olive oil in a steady stream and process until thick and emulsified. Add lemon juice and 1 tbsp cold water to thin a little, transfer to
a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. Makes about 2 cups.
- 2Trim artichoke stalks to 2cm and snap off tough outer leaves until you reach the pale, tender inner leaves. Using a small, sharp knife, trim bases by cutting down the length of the stem to remove outside of stalk. Trim 2cm from the top of each artichoke, halve lengthways, then immediately rub cut surfaces with a lemon half. Using a teaspoon, scoop out hairy, fibrous choke and discard, place artichoke halves in a bowl of acidulated cold water.
- 3Place artichokes in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil over medium heat, simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain using a colander, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. Set aside to cool.
- 4Heat olive oil over medium heat in a heavy-based large frying pan, add garlic and sauté until almost golden brown. Add reserved artichoke liquid and wine and simmer for 3 minutes, add clams and cook for 2-3 minutes or until clams have opened. Add artichokes to pan, stir mixture well and cook for another 3 minutes, scatter with parsley and serve immediately with alioli to the side and crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Drink Suggestion: Chilled manzanilla sherry. Drink suggestion by Andy Harris
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am