- 6 confit duck legs (see note) (about 1.2kg)
- 175 gm duck or goose fat (see note) (1¼ cups)
- To serve: pide, thinly sliced and toasted
- 2½ tsp ground white pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¾ tsp each ground ginger and ground nutmeg
- 1For quatre epices, combine all ingredients in a screw top jar, shake to combine and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 100C. Place duck in a roasting pan and cook for 5 minutes or until fat has melted. Drain and reserve fat. Remove skin from duck legs and finely slice, using a sharp knife. Remove duck flesh from bones and finely shred using a fork.
- 3Warm duck fat and reserved fat in a shallow pan until it has just become liquid, add shredded duck meat, season to taste with quatre epices and sea salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until duck meat is soft. Spoon rillettes into a terrine or pot and pack down firmly, cover and refrigerate until set. Serve just at room temperature with pide toasts.
Note Confit duck, duck and goose fat are available from specialty butchers and specialty food stores.