A stunning salad from south-east Turkey where all the ingredients grow in abundance. I love the balance of sweet, salty and chilli-hot, and the ruby-red pomegranate seeds look gorgeous against the muted khakis and greens of the other ingredients. This recipe is from by Greg and Lucy Malouf.
- 75 gm walnuts (¾ cup)
- 60 gm pitted green olives, washed and coarsely chopped (½ cup)
- 35 gm pistachios, coarsely chopped (¼ cup)
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 small shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red bullet chilli, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tbsp shredded flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- Splash pomegranate molasses
- ½ lemon, juice only
- To season: sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C. Scatter the walnuts onto a baking tray and roast for 5-10 minutes until a deep golden brown. Tip the nuts into a tea towel and rub well to remove as much skin as possible. Chop the walnuts coarsely and toss in a sieve to remove any remaining skin and dust. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently. Leave to stand for 5 minutes or so before serving, to allow the flavours to meld.