Snow cones or snowballs, as they are sometimes called, are found throughout the Caribbean – shaved ice flavoured with fruit syrup, or in this case rum and fruit juice.
- 6 passionfruit, pulp removed (about 1¼ cups)
- 1 pineapple, peeled, sliced and juiced (makes about 2 cups)
- 750 ml blood orange juice (see note) (3 cups)
- 4 limes (about ½ cup), juice only
- 375 ml golden rum (1½ cups)
- 125 ml sugar syrup (see note) (½ cup)
- 8-10 cups shaved ice, to serve
- 1Strain passionfruit pulp, pineapple, blood orange and lime juices through a fine sieve into a tall jug (discard solids). Add rum and sugar syrup, mix well to combine and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2To serve, fill cocktail glasses with shaved ice, pour over hurricane cocktail mix until almost full and serve immediately with cocktail stirrers (optional).
Blood orange juice is available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute with orange juice. Sugar syrup is made up of equal parts water and caster sugar, which is boiled to dissolve the sugar. It will keep in a sterile container indefinitely.