The spiced eggplant is also an excellent accompaniment to lamb chops and cold meats.
- 600 gm boneless leg of lamb
- To serve: chapatis (see note)
- 140 gm thick plain yoghurt (½ cup)
- 125 ml tomato passata (½ cup)
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 tsp each of cayenne pepper and paprika
- 1 tsp each of chilli powder and garam masala
- 185 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¾ cup)
- 1 large eggplant cut into 4cm dice
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 small tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeds removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 red birdseye chillies, seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, dry-roasted
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, dry-roasted
- ¼ tsp aniseed seeds, dry-roasted
- 1 lime, juice only
- 250 gm thick plain yoghurt
- 2 small tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 6cm batons
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1For tikka marinade, combine ingredients and 1 tsp sea salt in a bowl and mix well.
- 2Cut lamb into 8 pieces (about 8cm x 4cm x 2cm) and place in a bowl. Add marinade, combine well, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- 3For spiced eggplant, heat ½ cup oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and sauté eggplant, in batches, for 5 minutes or until soft and just golden, then transfer to a large saucepan. Heat remaining oil in pan and sauté onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until soft and just golden. Add to eggplant with remaining ingredients. Season with sea salt and simmer over low heat for 30-40 minutes or until reduced to a sauce consistency. Cool. Set aside.
- 4For tomato raita, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until required.
- 5For cucumber salad, combine ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- 6Preheat a barbecue to medium heat. Thread 2 pieces of lamb onto each of 4 metal skewers, reserving marinade, and grill, basting occasionally with marinade, for 6-7 minutes each side or until cooked through. Serve with eggplant, raita and salad.
Note Chapatis, a type of Indian bread, are available from supermarkets and Indian grocers.
Drink Suggestion: Iced tea. Drink suggestion by Andy Harris