This recipe works equally well using tangerines when in season.
- 5 egg yolks
- 350 gm caster sugar
- 5 leaves of gelatine (gold strength)
- 400 ml orange juice
- 50 ml lime juice
- 6 oranges, 2 tbsp finely grated rind reserved, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated lime rind
- 275 ml each double cream and crème fraîche
- 3 eggwhites, whisked to semi-stiff peaks
- 1Wrap eight 200ml-capacity glasses or ramekins with waxed paper to form collars that come 2cm above rim. Tie in place using kitchen twine. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg yolks until pale and thick, add sugar and continue whisking until mixture is thick and of ribbon consistency. Soak gelatine in 5 tbsp of orange juice in a large heatproof bowl for 10 minutes or until soft.
- 2Meanwhile, combine lime and remaining orange juice in a saucepan, bring to the boil, pour over gelatine mixture and stir until dissolved. Add oranges, rind and gelatine mixture to egg mixture and stir. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until mixture thickens. Fold through cream and crème fraîche, followed by eggwhites. Divide between ramekins and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or until set.
- 3To serve, carefully remove paper collars, scatter each mousse with icing sugar and orange rind and serve immediately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am