- 55 gm (¼ cup firmly packed) light brown sugar
- 140 gm butter, softened
- 300 gm rhubarb
- 220 gm (1 cup) raw caster sugar
- 1 orange, finely grated rind only
- 3 eggs, separated
- 50 gm glacé ginger, coarsely chopped
- 150 gm (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 60 ml (¼ cup) orange juice
- 1Preheat oven to 175C. Heat brown sugar, 20gm butter and 1 tbsp water in a flame-proof 22cm x 12cm loaf pan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves (1-2 minutes). Cut rhubarb into lengths to fit base of pan and place snugly beside each other over caramel.
- 2Using an electric mixer, beat remaining butter, caster sugar and orange rind until pale and creamy, add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition, add glacé ginger, stirring to combine. Sift dry ingredients together and add to egg mixture in 2 batches, alternating with half the orange juice. Beat eggwhites until stiff peaks form, add to batter in 2 batches and fold gently to combine. Spoon over rhubarb, level top and bake until a skewer withdraws clean (40-45 minutes). Stand for 10 minutes, turn out onto a platter and serve warm or at room temperature with mascarpone passed separately.