This classic Italian soup is enriched with eggs and saffron to make for instant luxe.
- 2 free-range eggs
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan, plus extra for serving
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 tsp saffron threads, soaked in ½ cup warm water
- 4 slices ciabatta or similar bread
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 20 gm freshly grated parmesan (¼ cup)
- 1To make parmesan toasts, preheat oven to 200C. Drizzle ciabatta slices with olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Place on a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a plate until ready to serve.
- 2Combine eggs, cheese and parsley in a small bowl and whisk together.
- 3Bring stock to the boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in saffron and saffron liquid. Add egg mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve with parmesan toasts and extra parmesan on the side.