“My husband took me to Urbane for our wedding anniversary and the food was amazing. I particularly liked the crushed potatoes with chorizo. Would you please ask chef Kym Machin for the recipe?” Helen Johnson, Woolloongaba, Qld
To request a recipe, write to Fare Exchange, , GPO Box 4088, Sydney, NSW 2001, or email us. All requests should include the restaurant’s name and address or business card, as well as your name and address.
Serve as a side dish to chicken or fish
- 1 kg coarse sea salt
- 3 large sebago potatoes (about 1kg)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 air-dried chorizo, thinly sliced (see note)
- 50 gm Niçoise olives
- 1 preserved lemon quarter, flesh removed, rind thinly sliced lengthways (see note)
- 80 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 finely chopped chives
- ½ cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Scatter sea salt in the base of a roasting pan, place potatoes on top and roast until tender (1-1½ hours). Cool, peel away a little skin then, using a spoon, scoop out flesh from potato, keeping it in large pieces, and set aside. Discard skins.
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add chorizo and olives and sauté over medium heat until golden (5-7 minutes). Add potato and preserved lemon, stir to combine, then add butter and cook, stirring occasionally without breaking up potato, until potato is golden (5-10 minutes). Add herbs and green onion, toss gently to combine and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Air-dried chorizo is available from Spanish and select delicatessens. Preserved lemons are available from David Jones Food Hall and select delicatessens.