This quantity of marinade is for 1kg of fish. You’ll need to begin this recipe, from the cookbook Creole (Phaidon) by Babette de Rozières, a day ahead.
- To season: salt and black pepper
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero chilli, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 limes
- 1Place fish to be marinated in a large bowl and cover with water. Season with salt and pepper. Add chilli, garlic, onion and vinegar. Chop limes into pieces, squeeze them into the bowl, then add pieces to bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight to marinate. The marinade will permeate the fish and, after cooking, it’ll have a unique, excellent taste.