Unlike your classic chocolate mousse this version by Bar Lourinã in Melbourne has a little kick to it courtesy of cinnamon, all-spice and chilli powder.
- 180 gm dark chocolate (54% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
- 3 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- ¼ tsp each of ground cinnamon, ground allspice and chilli powder
- 225 ml thickened cream, lightly whipped
- 100 gm hazelnuts, roasted and skins removed
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 1Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, turn off heat and cool, add yolks and stir to combine, then add spices. Add cream and fold through to combine. In a separate bowl, beat eggwhites until soft peaks form, then add to chocolate mixture and fold to combine. The mousse should be smooth and even in colour. Spoon into six ½ cup-capacity moulds and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
- 2For hazelnut praline, place hazelnuts on a baking paper-lined oven tray. Combine sugar and 2 tbsp water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until light caramel, then pour over hazelnuts and cool completely. Coarsely chop.
- 3To serve, scatter mousse with praline and serve immediately.