To accompany tarts, cakes and vanilla ice-cream.
- 1½ cups double cream
- 100 gm (½ cup, firmly packed) dark muscovado or dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp liquid glucose (available from health food stores)
- 75 gm unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 tbsp Cognac or brandy
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 1Place ½ cup of cream, sugar, glucose, butter, Cognac, a pinch of sea salt, scraped seeds from vanilla bean and bean in a heavy-based saucepan and stir over medium heat until well combined. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes.
- 2Remove saucepan from heat, stand for 2 minutes, then stir in remaining cream until well combined. Serve immediately or cool to room temperature. Sauce will keep, refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to 1 week. Sauce will thicken once refrigerated, warm to achieve the desired consistency.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am