You'll be jumping for joy from the first bite of this dish. Don't worry if you don't have any veal, either, chicken breast – halved horizontally and flattened – will work well too.
- 330 gm white asparagus, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- ¼ preserved lemon, flesh discarded rinsed, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 40 gm (½ cup) finely grated pecorino, plus extra grated to serve
- 8 veal schnitzels (150 gm each)
- 125 ml (½ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches asparagus, shaved lengthways on a mandoline
- 120 gm baby rocket
- Chopped chervil and lemon wedges, to serve
- 1Place white asparagus, garlic and preserved lemon in a small food processor and process until finely chopped. Add mayonnaise, season to taste and pulse until combined.
- 2Combine fennel seeds and grated pecorino on a large tray; season to taste then press schnitzels into the mix to coat both sides.
- 3Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook schnitzels, in batches, until golden and crisp (2 minutes each side). Drain on paper towel.
- 4Combine shaved asparagus, rocket and remaining oil in a bowl. Season to taste and toss gently to combine.
- 5Top schnitzels with chervil and serve with asparagus salad, mayonnaise and lemon wedges.