South Australian organic Jonagold apples from Kalangadoo Organic Orchards with a Sauternes sauce make the handsome topping to this almond tart.
- 150 ml each of crème fraîche, mascarpone and thickened cream
- 150 gm softened butter
- 150 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 1½ eggs, beaten
- 75 gm each very finely ground blanched almonds and almond meal
- 1 tsp brandy
- 220 gm plain flour
- 150 gm butter, chilled, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
Apples in Sauternes
- 100 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 4 apples, such as gala, pink lady or Jonathan, peeled, cored, each cut into 8 wedges
- 120 ml Sauternes or another sticky white dessert wine
- 1For frangipane, beat butter and icing sugar in an electric mixer until pale and combined, beat in eggs, then stir through almonds and brandy. Refrigerate until firm (1 hour).
- 2For pastry, process flour, butter and vanilla seeds in a food processor until combined, then add egg and process until mixture comes together. Form into a disc, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (1 hour).
- 3Roll pastry to a 28cm round between 2 sheets of baking paper and refrigerate until firm. Remove paper, transfer pastry to a lightly floured surface, dust with flour and roll to a 32cm round (if pastry gets too soft, refrigerate again until firm). Line a 25cm-diameter straight-sided buttered and floured tart tin with pastry, spoon frangipane into tart and smooth with the back of a wet spoon, then trim pastry to just above frangipane and refrigerate to rest (30 minutes).
- 4Preheat oven to 180C. Bake tart until pastry is golden and frangipane is golden and set (30-40 minutes; you may need to cover the centre of pastry with foil if browning too much). Turn off oven and leave in oven for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (1 hour). Turn out onto a serving plate.
- 5For apples in Sauternes, heat a large frying pan over high heat, add icing sugar, then arrange apples on top and cook until turning caramel in colour (3-4 minutes), then toss occasionally until caramelised all over (3-5 minutes). Add Sauternes and turn apples occasionally until a thin sauce forms (2-3 minutes).
- 6Whisk crème fraîche, mascarpone, cream, lemon rind and juice in a bowl until soft peaks form.
- 7Serve tart topped with apples in Sauternes and scattered with toasted almonds, with crème fraîche mixture to the side.
This recipe is from the May 2013 issue of .