This recipe yields a generous, Italian-style serving of roast lamb. You’ll need to begin it a day ahead.
- 2 boneless lamb shoulders (2.6kg boned weight), cut into 8cm pieces
- 2 kg large lamb breasts, cut into 2-rib portions
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) thyme, plus extra to serve
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 5 garlic cloves, bruised
- ½ cup (loosely packed) rosemary, plus extra to serve
- 80 ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 2 large white onions (200gm each), thinly sliced
- 200 gm pancetta, cut into 1cm dice
- 500 ml dry white wine
- 6 large Desiree potatoes (1.5kg), cut into 3cm dice
- 1Combine lamb pieces and ribs with thyme, bay leaves, lemon rind, 3 garlic cloves, half the rosemary and half the olive oil, season to taste with pepper and marinate overnight.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Drizzle remaining olive oil into 2 large flameproof roasting pans (or 2 large heavy ovenproof frying pans) and heat over high heat. Drain lamb (discard herbs and marinade) and cook in batches, turning occasionally, until browned (4-6 minutes), then remove from pans and set aside. Reduce heat to low-medium, divide onion, pancetta, remaining garlic and rosemary between the pans and cook until browned (8-10 minutes). Deglaze pans with wine and reduce by half (2-3 minutes), then return lamb to pans with potato and add 250ml water to each pan. Cover pans with foil and roast until meat is tender and falling off bone (2½-3 hours).
- 3Preheat grill to high heat and grill lamb (reserve pan juices) in batches on a foil-lined oven tray, turning occasionally, until browned (3-4 minutes). Set aside to rest. Place potato on another foil-lined oven tray and grill, turning often, until browned (8-10 minutes).
- 4Meanwhile, skim fat from pan juices then strain (discard solids), transfer to a frying pan and cook over high heat until reduced by half (3-5 minutes). Serve roast lamb and potato drizzled with reduced jus and scattered with extra thyme and rosemary.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: 2007 Basilisco Teodosio Aglianico del Vulture, Basilicata. Drink suggestion by Fabio Dore