You may need to begin this recipe the day before.
- 3 kg American-style pork ribs
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp celery salt
- Pinch each garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 500 ml cider vinegar (2 cups)
- 125 ml Worcestershire sauce (½ cup)
- 2 lemons, juice only
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 375 ml tomato ketchup (1½ cups)
- 200 ml smoked hickory barbecue sauce
- 40 gm butter
- 60 ml cider vinegar (¼ cup)
- 55 gm brown sugar (¼ cup)
- 1½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1For spice mixture, combine paprika, chilli and pepper in a saucepan and toast over
low heat for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Makes about 2 tbsp. Store in an airtight jar.
- 2For marinade, combine ingredients and 1 tbsp spice mixture in a mixing bowl. Place ribs in a non-reactive container, pour over marinade and rub evenly to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 3Preheat oven to 150C. Remove ribs from marinade, reserving marinade, place into roasting pans in a single layer and cook for 2 hours or until tender.
- 4For barbecue sauce, combine ingredients, ½ cup reserved marinade and ¾ cup water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat for 15 minutes or until thick.
- 5Increase oven to 220C. Place ribs on wire racks placed into roasting pans. Brush ribs with barbecue sauce and roast, brushing frequently, for 10-15 minutes or until browned. Cut ribs into pieces and serve with remaining sauce and sides passed separately.
Note Shown above with whipped potatoes.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am