- 1 small onion, finely grated
- ½ tsp each ground ginger and cardamom
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 quails, boned (about 200gm each)
Sweet and sour syrup
- 80 ml Iranian verjuice (see note) (1/3 cup)
- 2 tbsp grape molasses
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1Combine onion, spices and oil in a bowl. Arrange quails in a single layer in a dish, pour over onion mixture and mix well to combine, then cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2For syrup, combine ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring just
to the boil, then set aside.
- 3Heat a barbecue or chargrill pan over medium-high heat. Thread quails onto metal skewers and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through. Serve quail drizzled with syrup.
Note Iranian verjuice is more tart than European verjuices. It and grape molasses are available from Middle Eastern grocery stores.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am