You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 70 ml olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 chorizo, thickly sliced
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) chicken stock
- 400 gm canned cherry tomatoes
- 150 gm dried white beans, soaked overnight in cold water, drained
- 3 each thyme and oregano sprigs, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1½ tbsp Sherry vinegar, or to taste
- 9 thick slices sourdough bread
- 60 gm Manchego, finely grated
- 40 gm softened butter
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1½ tsp thyme leaves
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (8-10 minutes). Add chorizo, stir occasionally until browned (2-3 minutes), then add stock, tomato, beans, herbs and 1 litre water. Bring to the simmer and cook until beans are tender (45-50 minutes). Remove herbs, season to taste, stir in vinegar, keep warm.
- 2For Manchego soldiers, preheat grill to high heat and grill one side of bread until golden (1-2 minutes). Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl, season to taste and spread over untoasted sides of bread. Grill until golden and bubbling, slice into soldiers and serve hot with warm bean, chorizo and tomato soup.
This recipe is from the August 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Spicy, funky red grenache. Drink suggestion by Max Allen