There's no denying the appeal of a jaffle made with leftover Bolognese sauce; this braised beef version runs with the same idea with added heat from chilli, and red-onion pickles for bite.
- Softened butter, for spreading
- 12 slices white bread
- 100 gm feta, crumbled
Chilli braised beef
- 2 tbsp grapeseed or other neutral oil
- 750 gm beef oyster blade, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp chilli or chipotle powder (optional; see note), or to taste
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, coarsely crushed
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 375 ml (1½ cups) chicken stock
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Juice of ½ lime, or to taste
Pickled red onion
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 125 ml (½ cup) white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp crushed black
- ½ garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1For chilli beef, heat 1 tbsp oil in a wide frying pan or casserole over high heat, season beef well, then cook in batches, stirring, until browned (5-10 minutes). Transfer to a plate. Heat remaining grapeseed oil in pan over low heat, add onion and cook, stirring, until golden (10-15 minutes). Add chilli and cumin and stir until toasted (2-4 minutes). Add tomato and stock, increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Return beef to pan and bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until beef is very tender (1¼-1½ hours). Add coriander and lime juice to taste. Cool briefly, then shred beef with two forks and stand to cool. Refrigerate until required.
- 2Meanwhile, for pickled red onion, rinse onion under cold water, then soak in a large bowl of cold water for 5 minutes, drain and return to bowl. Place remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir in 250ml water and 1 tsp sea salt and bring to the boil, then pour onto onion and stand until cooled. Pickles will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 2 weeks.
- 3Heat a jaffle maker. Butter bread slices on one side and place half the slices, butter-side down, on a sheet of baking paper. Cover with beef mixture, spreading a little thicker in the centre and leaving a 5mm border. Scatter with feta and sandwich with remaining bread, butter-side up. Toast in batches in jaffle maker until golden brown (3-5 minutes).
We've used powdered chipotle, a smoked chilli. it's available from Herbie's Spices (herbies.com.au). Substitute smoked paprika for a milder result.