- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 small Spanish onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp hot Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 2 stalks each mint, flat-leaf parsley and 2 fresh bay leaves, tied in a bundle
- 1 litre vegetable stock or water (4 cups)
- 12 baby globe artichokes, trimmed, halved and placed in acidulated water (see note)
- 400 gm podded broad beans
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- To serve: coarsely chopped mint and flat-leaf parsley
- To serve: shaved Manchego
- 1Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add spices (but only half the saffron) and cook, stirring, until fragrant, then add herbs, stock and artichokes and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 20 minutes or until artichokes are just tender. Add broad beans to pan and simmer for 5 minutes or until just tender, then remove and discard herbs and season to taste.
- 2Bring 4 cups of water, vinegar and remaining saffron to a simmer and poach eggs for 3 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- 3Divide broth, artichokes and broad beans among bowls, add a saffron-poached egg, scatter with mint, parsley and shaved Manchego and serve immediately.
Note If you can't find small globe artichokes, trim two large ones, remove choke and cut into eight pieces.
Drink Suggestion: Good Spanish cava. Drink suggestion by Max Allen