You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 40 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 40 gm plain flour
- 750 ml (3 cups) milk
- 150 gm montasio (see note)
- 200 gm salt cod, soaked overnight in three changes of water, drained
- 1 broccoli head (about 450gm), broken into florets
- 1 sheet butter puff pastry (375gm), rolled to 5mm thick (see note)
- 1Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour, stir continuously until sandy coloured(1-2 minutes), then gradually add 350ml milk, whisking continuously to prevent lumps forming, until sauce is smooth (3-5 minutes). Add 100gm montasio, stir until melted (1-2 minutes), set aside to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled (1-2 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, combine salt cod and remaining milk in a saucepan over medium heat, bring to a simmer and cook until salt cod is tender (3-5 minutes). Drain (discard milk), then flake salt cod into small pieces and set aside.
- 3Preheat oven to 250C. Place a heavy-based oven tray in oven to heat. Blanch broccoli until tender (2-4 minutes), drain and set aside.
- 4Cut puff pastry into eight rectangles and place on a sheet of baking paper. Cut a 1cm border around each pastry, cutting two-thirds of the way through. Spoon cheese sauce in an even layer inside the border, top with salt cod and broccoli and scatter over remaining montasio. Carefully transfer to hot oven tray, bake until golden and puffed (10-12 minutes) and serve immediately with a rocket salad.
Note Montasio is a semi-mature cheese, available from select Italian delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute provolone. Use Carême puff pastry where available. If unavailable, substitute another good-quality butter puff pastry.