- 150 gm guanciale, cut into lardons (see note)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 400 gm canned cherry tomatoes
- 350 gm dried bucatini
- 1Sauté guanciale in a large frying pan over medium heat until starting to brown (5-7 minutes). Add oil, onion and garlic, sauté until tender (3-5 minutes). Add chilli and tomato, reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly reduced (15-20 minutes). Season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (7-10 minutes). Drain, toss through tomato sauce and serve hot, scattered with Pecorino Romano.
Note Guanciale is cured meat from the side of the pig's face, available from select butchers and delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute mild pancetta.