Freekah, farro, cracked wheat and barley all taste great tossed through this sweet and savoury salad.
- 300 gm pearl barley
- 1 tsp each coriander and cumin seeds, dry-roasted, coarsely pounded in a mortar and pestle
- 3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 40 gm (¼ cup) pine nuts, toasted
- 40 gm (¼ cup) golden raisins, soaked in warm water for 5 minutes, drained
- 3 dates, pitted, cut into slivers
- Juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 bunch coriander, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup (firmly packed) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Cook barley in boiling salted water until tender (20-30 minutes). Drain, transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- 2Meanwhile, combine spices with remaining ingredients in a bowl, toss to combine. Add barley, season to taste, toss to combine, serve.